ShoWare Center 5th Anniversary Celebration
Celebration planned for Sunday, January 26, game vs. Kelowna
KENT, January 15, 2014 — The city of Kent, SMG and the Seattle Thunderbirds will celebrate the ShoWare Center’s Fifth Anniversary with a variety of festivities at the T-Birds game on January 26 against the Kelowna Rockets. The ShoWare Center will also open its doors Monday, January 27, from 5-8pm for a free public skate (please bring your own skates) and tours of the facility. Make sure to bring your appetite, $5 dinner specials will be available during the public skating session.
Promotions planned for the T-Birds game include, limited time offer for $5 off tickets to the game when ordered during the 5-hour sale on Wednesday, January 22, from 5pm to 10pm, $5 beer/wine and Mike’s Hard Lemonade, $5 hot dog + soda specials all game, $5 off in the T-Birds team store (minimum $25 order), ticket giveaways for future T-Birds games and other ShoWare Center events, and a whole lot more. A city of Kent dignitary will drop the ceremonial first puck.
North America’s first LEED® Gold arena and the newest sports and entertainment venue in the region, the ShoWare Center in Kent, opened to the public in January, 2009 with its sold-out inaugural Seattle Thunderbirds home game.
“Coming on board prior to final construction of the arena, it’s amazing to see how far we’ve come in just five short years. The recent Florida Georgia Line concert, which set an attendance record for the ShoWare Center, along with the Thunderbirds continued success are positive indicators of good things to come. We want to take this opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the overwhelming community support the Arena has received; without their support we wouldn’t be where we are now. Kent is definitely now on the map as a sports and entertainment destination. We hope everyone will join us for the T-Birds game on Jan. 26, or our free public skate the following Monday, to celebrate the milestone of our Fifth Anniversary,” said Tim Higgins, SMG’s General Manager for the ShoWare Center.
“We are excited about the fifth anniversary of the ShoWare Center and will enjoy taking part in the celebration. The ShoWare Center has made Kent a destination for sports and entertainment fans of all ages through T-Birds games and all the other events that have taken place. We are looking forward to continued success as we head to the WHL playoffs and new acts and events are booked for ShoWare Center.” said Colin Campbell, Seattle Thunderbirds Vice President.
Kent Mayor Suzette Cooke says it’s great to see the City Council’s dream of a regional entertainment facility in Kent come to life.
“ShoWare Center has established a reputation as an excellent venue for indoor sports, concerts and trade shows. And it’s also meeting the needs of our community with winter walking, community events and high school and college graduations,” Cooke said. “We will always be grateful to Governor Gregoire and the State Legislature for allowing Kent to make use of existing tax dollars that were previously going to Seattle.”
Five Years By the Numbers:
- The ShoWare Center in Kent has hosted over 1.9 million patrons, which have taken advantage of the Always Free Parking at the ShoWare Center.
- The highest attended concert was the recent sold out Florida Georgia Line show on December 14, 2013 with 7,129 people.
- Brenden Silvester of the Seattle Thunderbirds scored the first goal in the history of the ShoWare Center against the Everett Silvertips in a 4-3 Seattle win.
- The ShoWare Center in Kent has hosted 215 shows (not including sports tenants) with acts including Barry Manilow, Stone Temple Pilots, Kelly Clarkson, A Perfect Circle, Florida Georgia Line, Styx, Backstreet Boys, Boys II Men, American Idol Live!, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rise Against, Toby Mac, Brian McKnight, REO Speedwagon, Ginuwine, Megadeth, Blackstreet, Chris Tomlin, New Edition, Hillsong United, Dru Hill, Pretty Lights, Skate America, PBR, Strikeforce (MMA), Disney On Ice, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, Harlem Globetrotters, Motorcycle Ice Racing, and many more.
- The ShoWare Center Zamboni has resurfaced the arena ice more than 8,500 times.
- More than 214,765 friends, family and local graduates have attended a graduation at the ShoWare Center in Kent.
- Savor…, concessionaire for the ShoWare Center in Kent, has served over 105,000 hot dogs, over 4,500 pounds of French fries, and over 300,000 bottles of soda.
- Jeremy Boyer was the first Seattle Thunderbird to record a Hat Trick (3 goals in a game) at the ShoWare Center on March 15, 2009.
- More than 650,000 patrons have attended a Seattle Thunderbirds game at the ShoWare Center since opening.
- Shea Theodore is highest drafted Seattle Thunderbird to have started his WHL career at the ShoWare Center, selected by the Anaheim Ducks with the 26thpick of the 2013 NHL Draft.
North America’s first LEED® Gold arena, the ShoWare Center, located in downtown Kent, is a 6,000 seat multipurpose sports & entertainment complex. Home to the WHL’s Seattle Thunderbirds Hockey, the ShoWare Center has opened its doors for a wide variety of concerts, family shows, corporate events, tradeshows and other sporting events. Guests traveling from all throughout the Puget Sound region have enjoyed complimentary parking since the venue’s opening in 2009. ShoWare Center’s exclusive in-house food & beverage provider SAVOR… Catering by SMG provides fine-dining food selections with exceptional service to ensure a successful and memorable event for all our guests.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to more than 230 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theatres, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 14.4 million square feet of exhibition space and over 1.75 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Solider Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s Reliant Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. For more information visit www.smgworld.com.